Monday, December 6, 2010

Museum of Natural History/Soho


Mark and I went to the Museum of Natural History this morning...a little bit on the repetitive side of things I've seen, although it was still thoroughly enjoyable and an educating experience. Disappointingly, the Big Bang simulator wasn't working...but I found out I weigh 20.1lbs on the moon apparently!
They have a really fantastic geological collection of rocks that my Papa would probably have enjoyed more than me. I liked the gemstones and diamonds room, naturally. But also what was cool, which Marc later agreed, was the room of human evolution from ape to man. I was comforted by the fact that old Neandethal ladies had saggy boobs back then too. What was super interesting was a wall of a collection of human skulls and skeletons over time...I learnt, from observations, that we have lost 2 knuckle joints in our fingers since our prehistoric ancestors!

I met up with another friend for cupcakes from Magnolia's in SoHo which were super yum. It was conveniently right near the Marc Jacobs bookstore, Bookmarc, so we mosied around there too. Fantastic selection of artsy books, but for such a small store, I don't understand the necessity of have 4 people working at the same time? Anyway, continuing down Bleeker st and into the heart of SoHo shopping, I came across an amazing vintage couture store called Roundabout which has this Issey Miyake piece I really wanted to buy. Other treasures included Yohji Yamamoto, Hussein Chalayan, Balenciaga, Junya Watanbe, Dior, Chanel, Gareth Pugh, etc etc eat your heart out, I die, etc. They are super reasonably priced also, and the pieces are in amazing condition.
Later had lunch at the Mercer cafe in SoHo, where we waited 25mins for a toasted sandwich, wtf! But it was satisfying, and I saw a guy wearing some crazy attire from the window so I popped up to steal a snap. We also went into Chanel which wasn't nearly as decadent or sophisticated as Prada. But whatevs.

No comments:

Post a Comment