Saturday, December 11, 2010

I love being pretentious.

So Marc went off today to be a film/art star for Mark the artist, leaving M and I at home (holy shiznizzle I can't deal with knowing any more Mark/c's in my life right now). It was pretty gloomy and cold, but we thought it would be a good idea to go back to Barney's to analyse the technical details of the clothes on 5th,6th and 7th levels of the store.
To do this inconspicuously, you need to either 1) look like a total tourist or 2) act pretentious as if you were a potential buyer. I did the latter, it is way funner, and then that way you can sample the clothes because you look half decent. Anyway, while I couldn't take photos of anything in-store discreetly, I can tell you exactly what trends in details I have noticed across my two trips for winter next year:

1) cut out armholes under sleeves
2) seam welt pockets
3) pocket shapes fused on the outside of a garment
4) embossed fibres and woven textures into fabrics
5) cardigans being worn upside down for a drapy look around the neck
6) hems and edges left raw with fabrics that don't fray

And my highlight collections are Alaia, Margiela, Prada, Marc Jacobs and Balenciaga.
What I also love about Barney's is the AMEX commodity. Much like my Prada experience, you can't actually tell who is a celebrity or not, but they're loaaaaded. And SO much plastic surgery.

These are some photos of the Barney's

No comments:

Post a Comment